Getting married in…Mauritius
Mauritius boasts all the ingredients needed for the perfect beach wedding: idyllic white sand, luxury resorts and mouth-watering French cuisine. Here’s everything you need to know about tying the knot in Mauritius.
Mauritius is known for its luxury, beach-front, all-inclusive hotels – most of which offer their own wedding package. Here are five of our favourites.
Beachcomber boasts eight resorts across the island of Mauritius and guarantees that only one wedding takes place a day. So your Wedding Co-ordinator can give your big day their full attention.
Beachcomber offers two Wedding Packages: Classic and Luxury. The Classic includes all of the following:
- Cost of all legal procedures, fees and documentation
- Civil Status charges in Port Louis including the cost of transfers from your resort to the Civil Status office
- Registrar's fees
- Dedicated wedding planner in Mauritius and a wedding team in the UK
- Choice of wedding locations at their chosen resort
- Wedding cake for 10 people
- Bridal bouquet and groom's buttonhole
- Celebration breakfast in bed
- Separate room for the groom to change in (subject to availability)
The Luxury Package includes everything above, as well as spa treatments, hair and make-up, four-course wedding dinner, and a romantic set-up in the couple's room.
Sugar Beach Resort & Spa
If you’re after a lively wedding with your nearest and dearest, then you need to look into this place. You can choose from three venues (the lawn outside Manor House, the white sandy beach or the gardens) and can cater up to 100 guests.
The Sugar Beach Wedding Package includes:
- Choice of wedding venues
- Dedicated wedding coordinator
- Seasonal fruit basket in the couples room upon arrival
- Wedding attire pressing/steaming
- Romantic background music – CD player, during the ceremony
- Brides make up at the resort spa
- Bridal bouquet
- Grooms buttonhole
- One bottle of sparkling wine during the ceremony (Graham Beck or Prosecco
- Wedding cake (maximum of 6 invitees)
- Photo package of 50 (10x15 cm) prints presented in an album with CD
- Romantic candle-light dinner ( set menu) for the couple on the wedding day
- Breakfast in the room or on the terrace/balcony the morning after the ceremony
- All local legal fees
Maritim Resort and Spa
Maritim Resort and Spa is a favourite with couples seeking an upmarket wedding that is suitable for families. On-site there are watersports, nine-hole golf club, fitness centre, four restaurants, three bars and a hotel run kids club.
If you’re looking for a wedding here, you’ll be treated to the following:
- Wedding Coordinator
- Decorated Ceremony Location
- Cadlelit dinner for the couple
- Bottle of sparkling wine
- Transport to Port Louis to Complete Wedding Registration
- Marriage License and Certificate
- Legal fees and ceremony
- Wedding gift
Lux Grand Gaube
This contemporary resort on the island’s north coast is informal but sophisticated, mixed up with a retro-chic lifestyle. The cuisine here is just as eclectic with Peruvian, Argentinian and Turkish dishes all making an appearance in the resort's restaurants. It is also suitable for families with supervised activities for 3 to 11-year-olds.
You can choose from a Light Wedding Package and a Delight Wedding Package. The first of which includes the following:
- All legalities for the Bride & Groom, and transportation of the Civil Officer
- One wedding a day
- Dedicated wedding co-ordinator
- Arrival Present
- Wedding Set-Up
- Wedding Ceremony
- Special Wedding Menu (excludes beverages)
- Wedding Cake for the couple & 2 glasses of champagne
- Special breakfast in room the following day
The Delight Wedding Package includes all of the above but with the extra additions of hair and make-up, Bridal Bouquet & Groom’s Button Hole, a live musician and breakfast in bed for the couple.
This new resort not only has a beach right outside its front door, it also has a few private islands to its name &ndash, and you can get married on one of them. The resort has its basic Free Wedding Package (if you stay at the island for seven days or more), Islander Package, and the Islander Wedding Package (which includes a ceremony on a private island).
Aside from a ceremony on a Private Island, the Islander Wedding Package also includes:
- Discount for the bride
- Personalized gifts for the couple
- Discount at the Spa Attitude
- One massage for the couple at the Spa Attitude
- Wedding ceremony on Gran Zil
- Set up of the wedding venue
- Wedding coordinator
- Witness service
- Background music
- Bottle of sparkling wine
- Wedding cake
- Trial and hairdressing for the bride
- Bridal bouquet
- Groom buttonhole
- Manicure and pedicure for the bride
- Candlelight dinner
- Special turndown
- Gala dinner, lobster menu
- Special breakfast in room the day after the wedding
When to get married
Mauritius is at its finest between the start of November through to April.
In order to get married in Mauritius, you need to be 18 or older (16 with parental consent), and not be related by blood or adoption, have two witnesses, and provide the following legal documents:
- 2 Copies of passports
- 2 Copies of birth certificates
- 2 passport photos each
- Decree absolute (if divorced)
- Deed Poll (if name has changed)
- Death Certificate and previous marriage certificate if widowed
- Non-English documentation must be translated into English and duly stamped
- French passport holders and citizens of other countries need to submit their documentation to us 3 months prior to your arrival in Mauritius
These documents will have been to taken to an official office in Port Louis. Don’t worry though – most Mauritius hotels will include the costs of this in the Wedding Package. Many Wedding Coordinators will also accompany you.
You only need to have been in Mauritius for one day before you tie the knot, however if you wish to have a religious ceremony you need to have stayed a minimum of 15 days prior to the ceremony taking place (Anglican and Catholic weddings are both possible).
(Please Note: please check with your Wedding Co-ordinator that the legal process in Mauritius has not changed).