Sign in to follow this  
Marty Marshmallow

Is Auckland a good base?

Looking to go to New Zealand next year with the wife and thinking of making Auckland our base since that's where most flights go. What can we do in the city or should we spend most of our time exploring elsewhere or should we break up the holiday and spend some time in Auckland but a little bit of time elsewhere. We both still work and can't be away for more than two weeks

@Marty Marshmallow Great that you are thinking about travelling to New Zealand! It is definitely a trip that takes a lot of planning but it is very exciting.

Auckland is a great city but with New Zealand you really do have to travel a bit to make the most of your time there. If your looking to fly in to Auckland it is a great place to spend some time and I would recommend hiring a car and hitting the road. If you don't want to drive, there are other options like taking a bus tour or trains where you can. 

With two weeks, I would recommend flying into Auckland an d doing a bit of touring and you can always fly out of a different airport depending on your itinerary. There is so much to see in New Zealand it would be a shame to travel all that way and spend all your time in one place. Check out some of the recommend itineraries on our website and let us know if you need any suggestions to help along the way! :5_smiley:

Hi, 

Would definitely recommend that you fly on to the South Island at least for part of your trip and hire a car there. With only two weeks it will take too long to drive south. New Zealand is far bigger than it looks on the map and though the roads are good there are a lot of slow bits as you often have to travel along very scenic but twisty roads.  Auckland is a great city and Rotorua area worth visiting. Queenstown is the epicentre of the activity and beautiful, but more expensive so be prepared. Mount cook area is a must. Great walking tracks but probably no time in two weeks to do any.  

We used hostels to get around and they all have great facilities and easy to book ahead. Most have double rooms without bunk beds!

Check out the school holiday dates as they go from Christmas through to February so places will be busy.

The photos below were taken in October. Hot chocolate looking over Mount Cook is unforgettable.

Enjoy

P1050469.thumb.JPG.a3214bcaa83ddc13e02c87176176545d.JPG

P1050454.JPG

P1050484.JPG

@Marty Marshmallow

I've not personally been to New Zealand, but I had a friend on my gap year who was from Auckland.

She said this catches out tourists a lot who fly there and don't realise that New Zealand isn't THAT small and it still takes a good half day to travel the North Island.