Gill@BarrheadTravel

What formal attire do you take for a cruise?

I really do not like the imposed formal nights. They are restrictive and out-dated.  Before our first cruise, Princess in the Med,  we asked other seasoned cruisers about the necessity of dressing up and were advised that there’s always somewhere to eat on board without having to dress up. When the formal night came, we decided to go to the buffet restaurant instead of the main large restaurant. All the other restaurants were closed. The only place we could eat that evening was the pizza/burger hatch by the pool. It was not a good evening!  

The next cruise was in Alaska, again with Princess. This time we relented and while it’s easy for me to roll up an evening dress and stuff it in a case, it’s not so convenient to use the valuable luggage space for a smart man’s suit that will be worn once. Especially if you’re travelling elsewhere before and after the cruise.  But we did it. Only to feel overdressed sitting next to some Canadians who cruise regularly and wear something reasonably smart that wouldn’t be out of place on any evening (no suit). If we do ever go on another cruise that has formal nights, we’ll be following the lead of those Canadians.  But of course, first we’d check out options of cruise providers that don’t try to dictate what kind of clothes you should wear.  

BTW both cruises were very good with excellent food and facilities. 

• Like 1

On 31/10/2017 at 11:52, Tcheuchter said:

I really do not like the imposed formal nights. They are restrictive and out-dated.  Before our first cruise, Princess in the Med,  we asked other seasoned cruisers about the necessity of dressing up and were advised that there’s always somewhere to eat on board without having to dress up. When the formal night came, we decided to go to the buffet restaurant instead of the main large restaurant. All the other restaurants were closed. The only place we could eat that evening was the pizza/burger hatch by the pool. It was not a good evening!  

The next cruise was in Alaska, again with Princess. This time we relented and while it’s easy for me to roll up an evening dress and stuff it in a case, it’s not so convenient to use the valuable luggage space for a smart man’s suit that will be worn once. Especially if you’re travelling elsewhere before and after the cruise.  But we did it. Only to feel overdressed sitting next to some Canadians who cruise regularly and wear something reasonably smart that wouldn’t be out of place on any evening (no suit). If we do ever go on another cruise that has formal nights, we’ll be following the lead of those Canadians.  But of course, first we’d check out options of cruise providers that don’t try to dictate what kind of clothes you should wear.  

BTW both cruises were very good with excellent food and facilities. 

im in agreeance, although I do like to put on my best, i'm not a fan of forced formal nights! Its my holiday let me do what I like when I like :) 

• Like 1

Hi 

I am a first time cruiseer going on P&Os Britannia on 02/02/19, and was wondering on formal/black tie nights, is a kilt outfit acceptable, looking forward to any replies , thanks

Hi @allymac4

Fantastic..Britannia is an amazing ship. Will this be your first time sailing with P&O?

A kilt is 100% acceptable on formal nights. It's actually one of the more popular attires for formal nights (even if your not Scottish) :D

Shannon