Shannon@BarrheadTravel

How do you book your excursions?

Many people like to book excursions locally as it appears to be cheaper. I personally like to book in advance, for few different reasons:

1) You avoid disappointment - Example: If you are looking to do "THE RIDE" in New York, if you don't book in advance you will likely have to get up at the crack of dawn to que for your ticket, if you even manage to get one that is. 

2) If you are on a certain budget while you are on holiday you don't have to be taking money for tours out of you "spending money". 

How do book your excursions? Have you had any excursion horror stories when booking before or during your holiday?

For something that I feel is unmissable, I would book in advance,  like the float-plane trip over the glaciers in Alaska, but there are things I would do differently 2nd time round. 

Example, Naples. Lots of fellow passengers were planning their own trip to Pompei, but we had an elderly relative with us and decided to play it safe with a half day trip and guided tour organised by the cruise line. It was terrible and we still talk about it years later. It was rushed, the guide was awful, disorganised and marched out of earshot of the radio range several times. We had no time to wander or rest. It would have been much more enjoyable to arrange our own transport and take our time.   

I absolutely agree @Tcheuchter if it's unmissable then you must book in advance but I don't always suggest booking excursions direct with the cruise line. I always advise asking your travel agent about tours before you commit to booking direct with the cruise line. There have been many cases where booking tours pre departure has saved customers a lot of money. 

Shannon

I always book my excursions before hand mainly to get the cost out of the way but also as I am slightly OCD with with daily arrangements xD

Do you guys book excursions? I am planning a trip for the summer but I am unsure on how to go about booking certain tours. 

Amy