Shannon@BarrheadTravel

Erins Kenya Adventure

Our very own Erin from our Dumfries branch has just returned from the most magical trip to Kenya and has been kind enough to give us a little insight into her trip:

Destination:

Kenya - Nairobi/ Masai Mara/ Nakuru/ Naivasha/ Amboseli and Mombasa

Overview:

Kenya is a place I had always dreamed of going and it certainly did not disappoint.

Within the first two days we almost saw all of the big 5 and much more on our game drives in Masai Mara, It was out of this world. Visiting the Masai Village was an experience you couldn't get anywhere else!

I have experienced and learned things I never thought I would on this trip and would definitely recommend it to anyone looking to something completely different.

Things to see:

Masai Village is a must see: Here is where you get to meet the local Masai people and learn about their way of living, you might even be lucky enough to see a traditional dance. It’s definitely a once in a life time experience.

Masai Mara game reserve: This was my favourite game reserve of the three that we visited. The animals that we got to see up close were unbelievable and the photo opportunities were endless!

Mombasa: Mombasa has some beautiful beaches to stroll along, perfect if you want to finish your holiday with a few days relaxation by the sea and is only a 1hr flight from Nairobi to Mombasa.

What to Pack:

A neck Pillow! This is a must for long flights/ transfers and helps cushion you on the safaris. Also comfy footwear and clothes again for long time sitting in safari bus/ transfers. At night in the hotels dress code is mostly casual. The last, and most important, is mosquito bands and spray as there is a lot of bugs flying about at night.

My Top Tips:

*Do 3/4 nights in the Masai Mara as this is where we saw most of the animals on our trip. The game reserve is more open and you can go along little roads right up beside the animals compared to the other two game reserves where you can’t get as close.

*No need for adaptors as the sockets European sockets.

*If you are thinking of adding on a few nights at the beach in Mombasa check where the hotel is, as the Baobab Beach Resort is about a three hour transfer from the airport including a ferry ride.   * If you can do a boat ride on Lake Naivasha to see the Hippos up close. It was a scary experience but amazing at the same time.

Hotel/Ship Recommendations:

Panari hotel in Nairobi is perfect for anyone with children as there is a cinema and ice rink in the hotel!! We only had a quick visit to this hotel but it had a great atmosphere and seemed like a family friendly hotel.

Mara Sarova Camp in Masai Mara - Luxury tents. We stayed in the club tents that were very spacious. Luxury tents would be perfect for anyone that is looking for the full safari experience as most tents look on to the game reserve its self (secured by an electric fence). At night you can hear all the animals as you’re only a canvas wall away from the outside.

Keekorok Lodge Masai Mara. We only visited this hotel but I would have loved to stay here. It has its very own Hippo pool that you can walk along beside the tree top observatory to see during the day and at night the hippos come into the lodge grounds to graze.

Ol Tukai Lodge in Amboseli. This was my favourite hotel by far. The rooms were a bit more modern and clean to the other ones we stayed in and there was lots of monkey running around outside. Great food and nice bar area are too.

download1.jpg

download4.jpg

download3.jpg

download2.jpg